Sunday, April 15, 2012

Instantaneous.

As much as I love my phone and what it can do, I'm envious of the Sidekick's BlackBerry for one reason: BBM.

For those of you who don't know, (where have you been living - under a rock?) BBM is BlackBerry's combination texting/instant messaging service that runs through data instead of using a texting plan. The cool thing about it is that you can see when your message has been read, so there's no wondering if your recipient got your message - you know.

(Apple has a version too -called iMessage- but BBM did it first so suck it, Apple.)

There's been rumors for ages that BBM is coming to Android, but so far it hasn't happened yet.

The reason I care so much is that since I'm back in the cellular dead zone called Oyster River, the only way I can talk/text with people is over the store's WiFi or by sacrificing a goat to whomever is in charge of my carriers coverage area.

The former is the option I'm forced to work with. (There is a serious lack of goats out here.)

To be able to communicate with the Wife, I've installed a messenger called Kik on our phones, and it works great. Almost the same as BBM, and I'd rather use it than texting anyday.

But the only people I know who use it are the Wife and I. The thing with BBM (or iMessage, I'd imagine) is that it's built into the phone - I think asking people to install a different messaging service just to talk to me makes me come off as a bit pretentious, don't you?

So if any of you bigwigs at BlackBerry are reading this, hurry up and make a BBM app for Android. That way I can talk with my Wife AND all those people I know who have BBM.

The iPhone people? They can take their snooty iMessage and shove it.

(Just kidding Apple - if you'd like to make an Android iMessage app, I'd totally use it. But I think Steve Jobs would rise from the dead and repeatedly bitch-slap the programmers into unconsciousness before it could be done.)




Later

*Those of you who noticed the spelling mistake in the title when I posted and didn't mention it, thank you - it's all fixed now, and I don't look like a retard.

No comments:

Post a Comment