Monday, April 16, 2012

In the Long Run: Running Changes Everything.

*I don't know about Triple T, but after reading that title, I have a old-school Cyndi Lauper song stuck in my head..

When thinking of a topic for this week, I had suggested to Triple T that we could cover anything, as I only had a 10 mile run, and I wasn't sure what length of time she was scheduled to run for.

Then it hit me - I had actually typed "only a 10 mile run" - like it was some nothing distance, not even worth mentioning.

When the fuck did that change?

Months ago, I would have looked at that distance on the calendar and groaned with dread. Now it's nothing more than a number, especially when doing it long and slow.

Training for my Half, and the 15K I just did, changed me.

It made me a runner again.

It made me appreciate what I can do if I put my mind to it, and to appreciate that accomplishment even if it doesn't match up with my expectations.

I'll be honest - when I didn't PR in the 2010 Victoria Half Marathon, it crushed me. I vowed that I was going to kick ass and show that race who was boss. As a result of that I over trained, injured my hip, and between that and the PF that followed I didn't run another race until my Half in March.

Seeing how Triple T, Rain, and others I follow have dealt with their injuries, and more importantly - their desire to come back or work through them has made me more conscious of my own injuries and how best to deal with them. (That would be the "properly" method instead of the "just ignore it" method)  If these people can persevere and overcome, I should learn from them and work through it too.

The training affected me in the fact that it got me re-dedicated again. Gone was the guy who would hit the snooze button instead of the road, and gone was the guy who only stretched when he was reaching for another pastry. (Mmmm - donuts.)

The runner was back.

But this runner was different than the runner I used to be.

This runner wasn't bothered that he didn't PR at the Comox Half or the Merville 15 - this runner was happy that he ran the race as best he could and that he enjoyed the experience.

This runner takes some time to stretch, (maybe not as much as I should, but better than nothing, right?) takes his days off running, and is doing some cross training when the mood hits him.

This runner gets up at 5am and busts his ass as best he can so that he can have the rest of the day (after work, of course) to spend with his family. (And now the kids want to go into track as soon as they can - I guess I'm setting some sort of example, eh?)

This runner has a six-pack. (It's kinda buried, but give me a bit - maybe 5-10 pounds more weight lost - and it'll stand right out.)

That's the biggest change that I get comments on. How good I look, how much weight I've lost, and how great I must be feeling. To tell you the truth, the closer I get to 40, the more I like to hear it.

Running has changed me for the better, and I'm willing to put up with the aches and pains of it for all the benefits it's brought me. From treadmill to trail to road, it's been nothing but incredible.

And running is going to change me again.

How, do you ask?

Well, it's going to change me from a guy who's done one Marathon in his life to a guy who's done two - I discussed it with the Wife, and I've made up my mind: I'm going to run the Goodlife Victoria Marathon on October 7th 2012.

My training program starts May 21st.

Now that I've rambled on about how running has changed me, why don't we see how Triple T thinks running has changed her? Just follow the magical link, people.








Later.



1 comment:

  1. Glad you decided to try another marathon! Can't wait to follow your training!

    An Aside....
    You know I laughed when I pulled up your post today, at the top of your page you have an for Big Girl Bras...is that a reflection of you or me? Is that like Big Boy Pants? Damn google!

    Through all this, reading your posts, going through my own experiences...I have learned to appreciate running...not PR'ing. Just running, loving it, continuing to do it smartly (stretch, exercise, etc...)

    Here's to many more runs in our future!!

    ReplyDelete