Wednesday, January 04, 2012

In My Own Image.


I'm training today at work.

The gentleman that I'm training will be doing my job while I'm doing someone else's job when someone else has decided to go to Mexico for 3 weeks. This is how you move yourself up the corporate stepstool ladder in a small business in a small town.

I'd say I'm 50/50 when it comes to training someone.

I'm a great talker, so explaining myself and how things are done is actually fairly easy. All those years managing at the Arches were good for something - I do know how to train people properly so they retain the information I'm giving them and can do the job. Where I lose it in the process is explaining all the little idiosyncrasies pertaining to my section, that are there for the simple reason of That's How I Like To Do Things.

Why do I like having things stacked and organized a certain way?
Because I do.
Why do I like the orders to be written in a certain order and at a certain time?
Because I do.
Why do I demand that my desk be kept in a particular way, even when I'm not around? 
Because if we don't, it's chaos - and that's how the terrorists win, goddamn it!

So you can see how my pleasant demeanor and sunny facade ease the discomfort of my rigid way of doing things  - you can tell that being trained by me is almost as much fun as a trip to Disneyland.


To be fair, the trainee is learning well and hasn't questioned things too much. I think he'll do okay and does seem to have a grasp on what he's doing. (To be fair, what I do isn't rocket science, but there is a learning curve.) I'm sure that when left to his own devices, he'll do just fine.

Of course, I'm going to say it was because of his exceptional trainer.






Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment