Friday, September 09, 2011

Shake, Rattle, & Relax.

So we had an Earthquake today.

From my understanding, and I'm just quoting public radio, it was a 6.8, about 250 kilometers north of where I am, and it was something like 50 miles underground. No damages, no injuries - I felt it, but most didn't.

Of course, everyone around here lost their shit. We've had people in the store for the last couple hours stocking up on water and canned goods, "Because the next one could be the BIG ONE!". Half these people didn't even feel anything, which makes the panic even more surprising. Checking Facebook is a mixed bag - people freaking out, people being blasé, people wondering what the fuck is going on.

I'm not having a cow. (What an 80's quote - do I get extra points for that?) It came, it's over. If anything does happen, I'm in the best spot for supplies. Of course I'll take the necessary precautions at home, but I think most people should just relax. There's thousands of earthquakes every year that we don't feel - but everyone is freaking out like we are going to be the next Japan.

The only place I hope saw some damage would be Beerfest in Victoria - the Sidekick's there today, and he's been Tweeting about how awesome it is. Some spilled beer would take the wind outta his sails. (I will accept the beer offence).

So I hope people just chill out and relax - I'm more disappointed in the fact that I wasn't at home having a nooner at that time - all that shakin' would make me look like good.



Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment