Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Completion.

It's done.

26.2 miles, 42.2 kilometers, 16 weeks of training. And it rocked.

The Royal Victoria Marathon made me feel like I can accomplish anything. I'm still on cloud nine - not only did I meet my goals, I blew them out of the water.

As you can tell from the certificate on the right, I finished in 3:28:20 - almost 2 minutes faster than I figured my best possible time could be. I placed 402nd out of the 2611 who finished the marathon, and 63rd in my age group. (considering that 12 of the first 25 finishers were my age or older, that's a good sign.)

But it was a great day and I had an awesome time. Even when my calves and hammies started cramping up at the 40K mark, I kept going. I paused to walk twice, but my determination to run the race wouldn't let me do it for more than 30 seconds. (I'm stubborn that way.)

It's a beautiful run - from the Seawall to the Parliament Buildings, from Oak Bay to running through the golf course, (even ran by the Twin's Comic Book Store!) it was just amazing to be surrounded by people just as crazy and dedicated as I am.

Some of my memories from the run:
  • The line up for the bathrooms - listening to some ladies debate the moralities of sneaking into the wheelchair porta-pottie.
  • The Elvis Impersonator on a flatbed truck in Oak Bay - The King kept me going..
  • The clothing strewn on the side of the road as runners peeled off thier outer layers.
  • The fact that only 1 in 200 runners can hit the trash can at any water station. (which is why we run, instead of being in the NBA.)
  • The running club offering "Beer Shots" at the 38K mark.
  • Eating my first gelpak - was too much like really sweet chocolate pudding.
  • Wondering if being struck by a golf ball means you get to subtract time off your finish..
  • Seeing 3:2x:xx as I came toward the finish line - fuck the pain - I ran.
  • Wanting to hug the lady as she put my finisher's medal around my neck.. (I didn't.)
  • The greatest chocolate milk/donut combo ever as I walked out of the food area after the race.
Overall, an amazing experience.
I'll post the photos as soon as I can - with selective editing - no one wants to see me grimacing in pain.

Now, about next year...

1 comment: