Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Maintenance is Key.

I have high standards when it comes to my DVDs.

Maybe not in what I watch, (ask the Sidekick, and he'll say my copy of The Princess Bride proves that) but in how I take care of what I have.

So it drives me nuts when I see people treat their DVDs like shit.

I had a guy at work lend me Wild Hogs. (Not my choice, but the Wife liked it.) He brought the disc in for me and when he handed me the case I was appalled.

The outer case was scuffed, the cover slide was ripped, and it still had the price tag on it. It may sound trivial, but I don't need to know that he paid $24.95 for Wild Hogs - if he did, he needs to get a refund. I was almost terrified to open the case and see the disc.- I figured it would look like cats played hacky-sack with it.

I just don't understand how people can treat their stuff like that, especially if they are willing to lend it out to other people. Bad enough that you're going to get judged on your viewing choices - but to hand out beat up, badly treated stuff? It just tells me you can't take care of your shit.

And if you don't take care of your stuff, why would the people you lend it to bother to take care of it? They know you don't give a shit, so why should they? When I hand someone an immaculate disc in packaging that looks like I bought it yesterday, that's how I expect to receive it back.

Do I go overboard? Probably. But to present my things, and by extension, myself as uncared and unkempt is just unacceptable to me.

I'm going to end it at that.
I gotta go dust my collection anyways.


Later.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on the immaculate DVD thing.

    And people ask me why I despise the cheap paper packaging when I go to buy music. How can we possibly keep it in any kind of decent shape in that recycled cardboard crap? What are they saying to us when they package their master work in a wrapper expected to last a year or two at best?

    I have a copy of New Order from 1987 that looks better than my SOAD album from last year or so. My Pretty Hate Machine looks better than my Downward Spiral.

    I need to rip and burn fresh copies of my Nickelback, of course. Can't let that deteriorate.

    ReplyDelete