Sunday, November 11, 2007

What Was That? ...I Forgot.

Once again, Public Radio has supported my belief that mankind is being run by the Lowest Common Denominator.

This weekend, in honor of Remembrance Day, our local station has decided to have a "Double Shot Long Weekend" - two songs in a row by selected artists. I have no idea what this has to do with Remembrance Day. Double Shot? Is it some strange War reference, maybe a gun thing? I don't know. Sounds more like a promotion for a Coffee Bar than celebrating a holiday commemorating Veterans.

"Thanks for being on the front line, Gramps - Because you held The Kaiser in check we'll play not one, but TWO Dire Straits songs."

"It's great that you were on the beach for D-Day, now you sit on a bench and enjoy twice as much Nickelback!"

I'm telling you, my Grandpa is excited.

It seems to me that of all holidays, this one seems now to be more about the day off than the day itself. I don't recall hearing anything today about Remembrance Day events - just celebrations that some people don't have to go to work on Monday.

They'll forget everything else. but they'll remember that.

And I find that sad. (And infuriating - let's not forget infuriating.)



Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment