Monday, May 14, 2007

Zen & The Art Of Cleaning One's Garage.


"A Place for Everything and Everything in it's Place."


What utter horseshit.


The modern attached garage isn't really made to house a car. It's meant as a last-stop for items you just haven't thrown out yet. We shouldn't even call it a garage. It should be known as "The Junk Room where we occasionally park the Car." I think that somehow items magically migrate out there during the Fall, and burrow themselves deep, fearing Spring's first light.

Getting started is a daunting task. Where do I begin? I wonder how some of this stuff even got out here. Halfway through I feel like Sisyphus. I almost succumb to the melancholy of it all.

I'm lucky that I have a touch of OCD. I think in situations like this it becomes helpful. That and all the Tetris I played as a kid make me unbeatable in organizational arrangement. (And Mother said video games wouldn't teach me anything!) It's all about sorting and stacking.

When my garbage pile was bigger than I could handle, I decided to call it quits for the day. I can always tackle it again tomorrow. It'll sit until then. (At least I was smart enough to leave the car parked outside.) After all - we must remember my favorite Zen quote:

"Life is a waste of time; time is a waste of life; so why waste your time when you could be having the time of your life?"




Later.