Friday, May 25, 2007

30 Years Ago Today...


  • I found out about Mos Eisley. I never knew a more wretched hive of scum and villainy existed.
  • Was the first time I ever heard about power converters - I still don't see what all the whining is about.
  • I saw Han shoot first - you can't take that away from me, George.
  • I envied my brother's asthma, just because he sounded like a Dark Lord of The Sith.
  • I stopped wanting that cap-gun from the back of the comic books and started saving up for a lightsaber.
  • I think I got my first chubby. Possibly when Princess Lies was all wet in the garbage compacter. (White dress, anyone?)
  • I wanted to bulls eye womp rats in my T-16. I didn't have a T-16 or any idea what a womp rat looked like.
  • I made a point to find out what a "parsec" was.
  • I found out about height requirements for Stormtroopers.
  • I was exposed to the most influential movie of my generation.

I know I was only 5 when it came out. I did get to see it in theaters though. One of my greatest childhood memories.
Never has one movie affected so many for so long. Love it or hate it, you can't deny it's influence and success. Forget what has come after, be it good (Empire) or bad (Jar Jar), just take a moment to appreciate it for what it is: a damn fun movie.

Thanks Flannel Man, and may The Force be with you.


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment