Saturday, January 27, 2007

ReCharge.

I like my coffee break.

I don't normally drink coffee on it; by that time of the day I've usually downed at least a couple of cups of java, so I use that time to have a snack so I can go to the gym on my lunch.

It's also great just to step back and relax for a bit. Read the paper, check my horoscope, maybe even scratch a testicle or two if nobody else is in the break-room. Whatever I want to do for fifteen minutes.

But I work with a couple of guys who think coffee breaks are for "pussies". These are big manly men who don't want people to think that they even relax. They must be important and busy if they can't even step away for a quarter of an hour. It's not like I'm taking a nap or something, I'm eating, dammit.

I'm not going to be hypocritical - I normally skip my last coffee break. By that time of the day I'm trying to make sure I have everything done so I can go home on time. Add to that the fact that if I did go and sit down I probably wouldn't get up again. The gravitational pull between my ass and a chair is at it's apex at that time of the day. It's best not to mess with things beyond our control.

The coffee break is a sacred time when a man (or woman) can stop, recharge, re- focus and get going again. It is not to be trifled with or frowned upon.

So if you see me in the coffee room, (scratching or not) just give me my space, and no one will get hurt.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment