Saturday, August 05, 2006

Musical Dominion.

Can anyone own a song?

I'm not talking about rights and royalties; I'll let the RIAA and music down-loaders everywhere settle that debate. What I'm talking about is more along the lines of ownership in the mind.

I didn't mention it in my funeral post, but my inspiration for that was from my older brother's wake. They played "Kiss the World Goodbye" by Kris Kristofferson, as was his request, and I haven't been able to listen to that song ever since. That's probably a bit extreme in regards to ownership, but to me - my brother now owns that song.

There's thousands of songs out there that are already owned in your mind.

Everyone has a different song, and other people have more than one. Whenever I hear "Lovin' You Lots and Lots" from the soundtrack to That Thing You Do, I think of The Boy. (It's one of his favorite songs, don't ask.) If the Hip comes on the radio, I think of the Sidekick. (Doesn't matter what song, they all sound the same.) Anything by Eminem, I always think of McQuarrie. Bon Jovi's "Keep the Faith"? The Wife has dibs on that. "Crazy Fucker" by Elliot Smith? Bish. For sure. (Just kidding Bish, tried to end the point on a funny note.)

I think that if I went through most of the people I know, I could assign them personal soundtracks - songs I hear that make me think of them. Sad that I have that much time on my hands, really.

Wouldn't it be cool if the minute you saw a person enter the room, their song began playing in your mind? Imagine going to the hospital and hearing "Bad Medicine" every time the nurse walks in the room.

Wouldn't that rock?

No, not really - but you get my drift.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. What's the first thing I did? Try to google that song.

    Family Guy already dealt with the idea of Theme Music for people, and I think they pretty much explored the hell out of it. Short story: it'd get lame really quickly, since you'd hear the song everywhere. And any song - even "My Sharona" - gets old after hte millionth play.

    Now that I've successfully got you singing "M-m-m-my Sharona" in your head, my work here is done.

    ReplyDelete