Monday, July 24, 2006

Undeserved Praise.

At work today I received a high level of praise point-blank from a customer.

Now having been in the service industry for so long, I know the instances of getting positive recognition from a customer are few and far between. Usually people are specific in their negatives and general in their positives. But this customer told me flat out that I was the reason they frequented our business. They even said it in front of other employees - a public declaration, if you will.

They then went on to describe an instance last summer where I was extremely helpful to them. It had been the end of a long and frustrating day, and my assistance and positive manner really made their experience with us enjoyable. They had decided to continue to do business with us based on that experience. Our company may not be the largest of it's kind in the area, they told me, but the level of customer service displayed really impressed them.

I stood there and thanked the customer for their recognition and praise and told them that it's just part of doing business, and that I really appreciate them taking the time out to tell me what a great experience they had.

After the customer left, one of my co-workers pointed out to me that I wasn't even at this location last summer. This uber-service God the customer described must have been someone else.

"I know." I replied, "I didn't have the heart to tell her."

It sure was nice getting all that praise heaped upon me. Just wish I was the one who deserved it.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment