Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Handy - Capped.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a whiz when it comes to repairs and renovations.

I'm ahead of some in the fact that I do own tools.
I even have the knowledge to use them without injuring myself or others.
I'm also somewhat of an short-range optimist. This causes me to think that any job I tackle is going to be easy, because I haven't thought it through yet.

Case in point: The Faucet.

Hey! Changing a faucet should be easy!
Just rip out the old, jam in the new, wham bam, and yer done, right?
Wrong.
Who would have thought that the size of the water line needed for the new faucet would be vastly different from the one I have now? Not me, that's for sure. Shouldn't I have checked that out before I started? Probably, but where's the adventure in that?

(As an aside - I don't think I've ever started a project that I didn't have to stop at some point and run to the hardware store. I'm always missing something, or need a different tool, or have to ask for help because I've got no idea what I'm doing.)

I contemplated using Duct Tape as an alternative solution.
Problem was I was all out of Duct Tape. Since I was going to have to go to the hardware store anyway, I decided to see what could be done and only use the Duct Tape as a means of last resort.

The gentleman at the store was very helpful, considering I told him it was for a retarded friend of mine who was inept with all things mechanical. Told him I was only helping the guy out so he didn't look like an ass in front of his kids. We joked about those types of fools in a manly-man way and I headed off towards the checkout with the pieces that I needed to do the job. (I was masterful in my deception: I believe he thought I was Bob Villa's nephew.)

Wouldn't you know it. Once I had the right parts, everything went smoothly. I would have figured it out on my own, given the time (and effort) to do so.

Am I an optimist? I figured it would take roughly twenty minutes for me to switch those faucets. It ended up being about an hour, maybe just over. I'd say I did fairly well.

Now about these floors......

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment