Monday, June 26, 2006

Absence Makes The Heart...

When I listen to music, I don't do it halfway.

I tend to find a band I like and totally immerse myself in that sound, almost to the exclusion of other music. The length of time that I am fascinated by the sound varies from band to band; depending if something else catches my ear or I sense that I'm starting to get tired of them. For a band to really stand out to me, they have to be able to stay on my play-list and not get boring. But even the greatest of bands tires after 24/7 repetition.

For some bands, if I sense that I'm starting to get bored, I'll drop them from the rotation and pick them up at a later date. When? Well sometimes the oddest things trigger it. It may be an old favorite on the radio, background music in a movie, or coming from someones car as they drive by. Whatever it is, something snaps inside my brain and I get the compulsion to hear all those old tunes, and to see if I can find any new stuff since the band has fallen off my radar.

It has not failed me yet.
Going back to that music makes it all seem new again, almost like I'm hearing it for the first time. It's fresh and comforting all at once.

I have to go dust off my old Def Leppard cassettes now, so if you'll excuse me....

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I stared at my Def Leppard today too.

    Almost grabbed the MCMXC Enigma album.

    ReplyDelete