Saturday, May 13, 2006

It's Funny, Dammit!

Sometimes you realize that your sense of humor is just a bit different from almost everyone else. The things that you find amusing or downright hilarious don't even crack a smile in others.

I was talking to a guy about comedy the other day, and he's all about the Dave Chappelle. That's okay and all, but I'm trying to broaden his mind a little bit. We talk about some of the comedy that I found funny in my younger years, and I suggest he check out Andrew Dice Clay. Now I know that he's a little dated, and that he was a chauvinist pig, but I found him to be a fucking riot when I was younger. (Hell, I even own Ford Fairlane on DVD.)

So he checks him out, and I asked him what he thought. He said it was weak. Weak? What the fuck does he want, balloons and sparklers? It's great comedy, although a little dated, like I said. I agree that it's not as good as Chris Rock, but Jesus, at least give it a chance.

I then realize that maybe our tastes aren't as similar as we thought, and that there is always room for error. Comedy is all about perception, and if you are used to a certain style and rhythm, then sometimes it's hard to find the good in anything different.

Then I suggested he check out Dennis Leary, as No Cure For Cancer and Lock And Load, were great and edgy stuff, and I was sure that he would like it.

When he looked at me and said "Who?" I just shook my head and walked away.

Fuckin' Kids, don't know shit.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment