Thursday, January 12, 2006

Stress.

Different people handle stress in different ways.

It's amazing to see how stress, or varying levels of stress, affect others.

I've worked with people in the past who were at complete opposites on the stress spectrum.
There was a girl who would get so worked up over the littlest things. If someone pissed her off or freaked her out at seven in the morning, it would cause her to lose her focus for the rest of the day. You'd talk to her at four in the afternoon, and she'd still be going on about that person from seven o'clock.
Then there was the other guy, who nothing seemed to bother. It's not that he was a calm individual who could handle himself under pressure; it was the fact that he didn't really care one way or the other how things turned out.

I work with people who are mainly in the middle of the road for dealing with stress, although there are one or two guys who get rattled pretty easily when things don't go as planned.
I think I deal with stress fairly well. My years at the Arches helped prepare me for that. I tend to get mad when it starts to get stressful, as if somehow my anger can make everything OK. Maybe not the best way but it works for me. (Let me state now that it's a quiet anger, not a throwing chairs or smacking bitches around anger.) Although because of my formative years at he Arches, it does take a lot more for me to feel stressed than it does others.

However, stress at work is nothing compared to stress at home. When you have a stressful day at work, you punch out, say "Fuck it", go home and relax; either by drinking or cleaning or jerking off, who cares, at least the stress is gone. But what do you do when there is stress at home? Go to work? If your workplace frowns on drinking or jerking off, you might have to find other outlets. You'll just have to deal with it as best you can.

I'd go on about my level of stress right now, but let me tell you, anyone who has a two week old who cries a lot can tell you, it's extremely high, and there's fuck all you can do about it. I looked at the wife and asked her for a little bit of "stress release" and you know what? The look she gave me just added to the already toxic levels around the homestead.

I think I'll take up drinking for now.

Although with the amount of trouble I get into when I drink, at the end of the day, somebody's gonna be stressed.

But I'll be too drunk to care.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:55 am

    Why don't you just jerk off instead? Since you apparently act like an abusive asshole when you drink it seems like a better alternative for all concerned. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, but with drinking there is less chance of painful chafing, and since this is about stress release, it's not a good idea to "bring the pain".

    ReplyDelete