Friday, December 09, 2005

Pledging Allegiance

I was reading Hank's blog, and I got to thinking, (I know, it's a dangerous thing.)
What seems to be the fascination some people have with telling the entire world, (or at least the surrounding neighborhood,) who you are planning to vote for?

I thought it was supposed to be a secret ballot.

What's the point of sticking a sign in your lawn and then having to go into a booth and vote?
Do you think that by having that sign on your lawn you are going to change the mind of the people around you?

" I'm troubled on who to vote for dear"
" What seems to be the problem honey?"
" Well I like the way Sam mows his lawn, so I was thinking of voting Liberal."
" But what about how the Thompson's have their Christmas lights? That would make me want to go Conservative."
"Maybe..."
" And then there's the Smiths, their voting NDP."
"Fuck them, their dog shits on our lawn"

Anyone who is swayed by a lawn sign is a waste of what might pass for brain cells.

Inversely, if you don't have a sign, does that mean you aren't voting?
Why aren't you passionate enough about your choices in who gets to run our country to not put a sign out there?
If we all had signs, we wouldn't even have to vote, they'd just send some guys around to count the signs. Biggest total wins. Extra points for signs with pictures, or a really big "X" or check-mark beside the name

I all know is I agree with Hank.
Although he hates the signs because they are Conservatives, and I just hate them because they're signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment