Thursday, August 04, 2005

Just 'cause there's a Goalie in the Net...

If you look over at that location thing on the side of the page, you can tell that I'm in Canada.
I was born here, and as such I have the natural Canadian love of Hockey. Played it when I was younger, watch it on TV, and follow it it the papers.
Now I was as pissed off as anyone when the NHL lockout occurred, and I was actually kinda impartial when it ended. I want to see a good product, not some rich crybabys pussyfooting around the ice.
My biggest pet peeve with hockey before the lockout was parity. There were some teams that could be accused of trying to buy the Stanley Cup, and I'm sure that you could point to one or two of the previous teams that have won it as an example. But the fact was that there were some teams who had outrageous payrolls and were full of superstars, and teams that were doomed to failure the moment the season started.
I think that's over now.
After witnessing the trades and dealings in the NHL over the last couple of days, it seems to me, ( as cheesy as it is to say,) that there is now some balance in the force. There are a lot of great players on almost every team now, and the owner with the deepest pockets is not going to be the one who wins. (please don't point out the New York Rangers to me, I believe they are the exception to the rule.) It brings it down to smart fiscal management, as well as having programs that will develop from within, as you will not be able to buy your way out of mistakes anymore.
This change , as well as some of the proposed rule changes to improve the flow of play, have me more excited about Hockey than I have been in years. I really hope the on-ice product will be equal to the excitement that's happening behind the scenes right now.

Can't wait for the season to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment